Applications are invited for a PhD student position for a period of 3 years at the Oslo Centre for Biostatistics and Epidemiology (OCBE), Department of Biostatistics, University of Oslo. This is an opportunity to join one of Europe's most active biostatistics groups at an exciting time. Currently, OCBE includes nine tenured professors and associate professors, twelve researchers, and several post-doctoral fellows and PhD students, making up a group of about 50. OCBE is internationally recognized, with interests spanning a broad range of areas (including time-to-event models, data integration, causal inference, statistical genomics, Bayesian inference, informative missingness and measurement error models, epidemiological studies of lifestyle and chronic diseases, stochastic models for infectious diseases, high dimensional data and models) and numerous collaborations with leading bio-medical research groups nationally and internationally. The PhD position is funded by the European Research Council through the Advanced grant project "SCARABEE".
Job descriptionThe position is targeted towards development and application of novel inference methods for intractable statistical network models in genomics. The research fellow must take part in the Medical Faculty’s approved PhD program and is expected to complete the project within the set fellowship period. The main purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a PhD degree. For more information, please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Research Fellowships at the University of Oslo.
Qualification requirementsApplicants must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in statistics or computer science prior to starting in this job. They should also have documented research experience about computational inference for high-dimensional Markov network models and function optimization using GPU acceleration. Applicants should have fluent oral and written communication skills in English. We offer
- Salary ranging from pay grade 50 - 57, NOK 436 900 – 490 900
- Stimulating and attractive work environment
- Membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Attractive welfare benefits
How to applyThe application must include:
- A one-page text describing current research interests and potential contributions to the planned project
- CV summarizing education, positions held, details of academic work, pedagogical and administrative experience and other qualifying activities
- List of publications
- Copies of educational certificates and transcripts of records
- Names and contact details of 2-3 referees stating relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number